France – Parental Authorization Required for Children Travelling out of the Country

What has changed

Effective January 15, 2017, every minor child (under the age of eighteen (18)) residing in France who travels without a person who has parental authority will require an authorization to leave the country, signed by the person with parental authority. Previously, this authorization was not required.

Who is affected?

  • Families residing in France who have children under the age of eighteen (18) travelling outside France without a parent

What to expect

The authorization is an administrative form to be completed and signed by the person who has parental authority. Regardless of the child’s nationality or the nationality of the parent, the child will need to carry the following documents when travelling:

  • a valid ID (passport or ID card for French or EU nationals)
  • a visa where applicable
  • a copy of the parent’s ID: valid passport or ID card (for French or EU nationals only) or residence permit
  • the authorization form signed by the person with parental authority

This rule also applies to children residing in France in a border area who travel daily to neighboring countries (Germany, Switzerland, Belgium, etc) to study. The validity of the authorization is determined by the parent, but cannot exceed one (1) year from the date that the authorization form was signed.

What you need to do
Planning ahead

  • Parents residing in France should be sure to provide the necessary documents to their child before the child’s trip.
  • Contact your Emigra Worldwide representative for further details on how these updates may impact you or your client.

The information above was provided by Emigra Worldwide, our global network partners, and relevant government authorities. The information herein is for general purposes only and not intended as advice for a particular matter. If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to contact the global immigration professional with whom you work.