Singapore – Ministry of Manpower Work Pass Housing Requirement Check

What has changed?

Beginning September 14, 2018, the Ministry of Manpower (MOM) will carry out residential housing requirement checks at the time of issuing a work pass. The work pass request will only be approved if the work pass holder’s residential address meets the housing requirements.

For example, if the work pass holder is going to rent a Housing and Development Board (HDB) flat, he/she must be registered as a tenant before the pass can be issued.

This requirement is being introduced by the MOM to prevent work pass holders from staying in overcrowded premises or commercial buildings, which are not allowed for residential use.

Who is affected?

All companies in Singapore sponsoring foreign workers.

What to expect

Requests to issue work passes will only be approved if the work pass holder’s residential address, keyed in at the time of issuance, meets the housing requirements.

Work pass applicants who do not meet the housing requirement may not have their pass issued on time, meaning the employment start date may be delayed.

What you need to do

  • Employers should ensure that the HDB flat owner registers employees as tenants with HDB before they move in.
  • Inform work pass holders to use HDB’s eService to check if the flat owner has registered them as tenants of the flat.
  • Review the full list of MOM’s housing requirements, which can be found at this link.