United Arab Emirates – Sworn Legal Translation Required For All Personal Documents in Arabic

What is changing?
Effective October 2017, all personal documents intended for submission to the General Directorate of Residency and Foreigners Affairs in support of an immigration application will need to be translated into Arabic and legally certified.

Who will be affected?
  • All assignees applying for immigration documents for the United Arab Emirates
what2What to expect
While no official announcement of a policy change has been made, our local immigration consultants and partners have observed that all visa application centers(AKA typing centers) in the United Arab Emirates have begun requesting legalized Arabic translations of documents submitted in support of residence permit applications, including marriage certificates, college diplomas and transcripts, birth certificates, etc.
Previously, visa application centers would accept legalized English or Arabic documents with United Arab Emirates attestations. While visa application centers in the Free Zone are currently still accepting legalized English documents, we anticipate that this will soon change.

What you need to do
Planning ahead
  • Emigra can assist with acquiring sworn legal translations of any required documentation, provided that the documents have been legalized in the United Arab Emirates prior to the translation. The process to have your documents legally translated with take one (1) to two (2) days. Be advised that there will be additional costs incurred.
  • Contact your Emigra Worldwide representative for further details on how these updates may impact you or your client.